Monday, August 23, 2021

"Life in a Small Town"

 The Nankipooh Enquirer

The Tommy-Town Times
"Covers the South like Sorghum Syrup"
Ace Reporter : Scoop Biggers

"Life Today in a Small Town"

I used to live in the city, in fact I lived in the city for nearly fifty years.  It was great!  Lots of good restaurants, with new ones opening up all the time.  Big League Sports, it seemed like there was a big game to go to all of the time.  Theater, Concerts, Museums, there was always a choice for things to do.  And then it happened, the city got bigger and bigger, and it took longer to go places, and cost more and more money.  Around this time my wife and I retired. and we decided to move to a smaller town.

So what's it like living in a small town?  The town we now live in is seventy five miles from the city, and the population is only about ten thousand, heck, there are only about twenty five thousand people in the whole county!  We do have a lot of growth, since there is a new Holiday Inn Express coming to town, and a Longhorn Steakhouse is going to open up near the Home Depot.

Below are a few things I have noticed since moving here five years ago.

1. My property taxes are about one third what they were in the city.
2. The water bill is about 20% of the one from the city.
3. A traffic jam means more than ten cars have backed up at the light on the US Highway.
4. I run into people from my church almost every time I go to the supermarket or the drugstore.
5. I live in a subdivision with about sixty houses, and just about everyone waves when they pass my house.
6. I know the county sheriff by his first name (he goes to my church)
7. I have found that I enjoy listening to the local high school's basketball games on my radio. (last year they won the state championship in their division}
8. The big league baseball team looks the same on the TV here, as it did in the city.
9. It took me five minutes to get my driver's license renewed at the Dept. of Motor Vehicles
10. A quick trip across town is about eight minutes.

And, in case you did not know, We got the best Catfish Restaurant within 200 miles of the city! 

scoop biggers

"Make Fried Catfish the National Dinner"

No comments:

Post a Comment