Friday, July 30, 2010

The Story of Bayou Bait


 
Dateline: July 30, 2010
"The Story of Bayou Bait"

Many of you know that I like a good glass of wine with a good meal, but probably few of you know that I am also an avid fisherman.

On a recent trip to Louisiana to visit my Cajun buddy Boudreaux and get in a little bayou fishing, I learned a new lesson in catching fish. Boudreaux and I were in his jon boat back in the swamp fishing for bayou catfish. We were using chicken livers and also balls of cheese as bait.

We had also taken along the required cooler of cold beer, but since Boudreaux and I both like to eat and drink wine, we had also packed some oyster and shrimp Po-Boy sandwiches, and a bota-bag full of a good seven-year-old California Cabernet Sauvignon.

Well into the day and after a great shore lunch and a few cold brews during the heat of the day, I began to notice that Boudreaux was pulling in some pretty nice big Bayou Catfish while I was mostly catching small mud cats. So I asked Boudreaux what he was using for bait, the chicken livers, or the balls of cheese. He told me that he was using the cheese balls. so I immediately switched over to the cheese myself. Well another hour passes and my luck still hasn't changed, but old Boudreaux, was still hauling them in, so I began to watch. After a nice big six pounder, I watched him re-bait his hook with another cheese ball and then take the bota-bag and soak the cheese with the Cabernet.

I said "Wow Boudreaux, you are using wine and cheese to catch those big cats!" He replied, "Man these are Cajun catfish and they got a lot of French Blood in them, like all us Cajuns!" "But you should see the size of the ones I catch when I bring along a bottle of ten year old Lafite Rothschild!

The morale of this story is that you have to use the right bait to catch the really big ones!  When a politician uses a lot of really big promises to get your vote, he may just be baiting you, so don't believe what they say, just look at what they have done.
 
Bascomb Biggers

No comments:

Post a Comment